Published route updates and news
- Go via the Colwyd reservoir if the weather is good.
- The track up to the Doethie valley had been closed (due to a massive crack down the middle) but it is re-opened again.
- Don't use the bridleway past the Dolgoch YHA, stick to the road as per the map & instructions.
- Leave the Skyline to join the new Blade trail to Glyncorrwg.
- The Level Crossing bunkhouse in Llandovery is excellent.
- The Black Lion near Strata Florida is very nice
- Pentre Stables B&B & the pub at Glyntawe (south of the Black Mountain) are both very good.
- Hafod Hotel at Devil's Bridge is bike friendly and in a stunning location.
- Not had good reviews for the Corris Hostel
C2C Ilfracoombe to Plymouth
- Park and leave your car at Mullacott farm (www.mullacottfarm.co.uk or 01271 866877). They also have a camping and a YHA camping barn here.
- Lovistone Cottage B&B in Instow is nice (and close to the trail) tel: 01271 860676.
- The Fox & Hounds camping barn and B&B in Lydford is good, tel: 01822 820206
- There is now a new man-made trail in Bedgebury Forest.
- Alternative smoother and sometimes less busy downhill from Beeding Hill to A283, on single track bridleway.
- Mountain High bike shop in Pangbourne is now no longer there, but Parkhurst Cycles is, over teh road in the industrial park.
- Avebury village makes a nice start point.
- The YHA above Goring is still a bunkhouse but not a YHA.
- There is a nice pub in Stoke Row
- Good campsite (White Mark farm) right on the Ridgeway at Watlington, GR 698/939 on tel: 01491 612295
- Great chocolate cafe in Wendover.
- There is a permissive bridleway from Hastoe to Wigginton.
- The trails get badly damaged in the wet weather (as it's popular with horses).
South Downs Way
- At point no.12 don't try to tunnel under the road, we meant to say 'go across the A24 road' not under it. It is a nasty crossing, so we advise using the alternative route signposted at GR105/119 via Washington village.
- There is a new bridge over the A26 road (point 17/18) GR432/056.
- After crossing the river Ouse and trainline, turn right by/before the YHA & (Itford) farm buildings, past the pods, using a footbridge over the A26. There is a nice cafe at the YHA if required too.
- There is a now a water tap at Amberley (TQ 024/124) and at the YHA on Truleigh Hill (TQ 220/105).
- There are now just waymarked trails to use here: 1km Green, 10km Blue and 13km Red route
- Things have changed pretty significanly here now. We would now suggest basically following the outside edge of the common, where there is a thin line of trees (with some fun singletrack). It runs virtually all the way around the common. We'll have another route to download very shortly, or e-mail if you want the GPX for a trip if going soon.
North & South Downs - no.15 Harrietsham
- Please pass around Oakenpole Wood (on the road) as the track marked with a black line on the map, is now no longer a permissive path for cyclists.
- The last couple of fields are extremely muddy in bad weather