Over our travels we have come to visit a number of establishments we'd love to recommend to you to enjoy too. Please follow the links below to be taken through to Google Maps which pinpoints them. If you have any new additions or updates to the list please let us know, we'd love to hear from you. Thank you and enjoy.
- The descent to Dolgarrog (by the inland surfing lake) is currently signed and closed. Although passable it is now getting overgrown.
- Go via the Colwyd reservoir if the weather is good, or Llyn Crafnant (see gpx files) for a more technical option to Capel Curig.
- The Red route option (Map 2) to Llan Ffestiniog is a very tough climb through an old quarry and the descent has been tarmaced!
- The Black Lion near Strata Florida is very nice
- Hafod Hotel at Devil's Bridge is bike friendly and in a stunning location.
- Eco retreats and the Centre for alternative technology, south of Corris (before Machynlleth) are both very nice.
- At Nantyarian, if struggling (for time or energy) be aware its a tough going crossing the valley to Devil's Bridge, but there is an easier road option - follow the A44 (left) to Ponterwyd, then right on the A4120, to Devil's Bridge.
- The trail past Strata Florida can get extremely wet, so it is advisable to use the detour shown on the map if you don't like getting wet feet (and shins!).
- Don't use the bridleway past the Dolgoch YHA, stick to the road as per the map & instructions.
- The Doethie Valley can become overgrown (with ferns) if access and grazing restrictions are in place, but you can join via the farm at Nant-llwyd. If very wet, avoid it totally by continuing south on the road beside Llyn Brianne reservoir, to Rhandirmwyn.
- Sadly the excellent Level Crossing bunkhouse in Llandovery has closed.
- Pentre Stables B&B & the pub at Glyntawe (south of the Black Mountain) are both very good.
- Leave the Skyline to join the new Blade trail to Glyncorrwg. Caution, the GPX file may vary due to changes made to the man-made trails here.
C2C Ilfracoombe to Plymouth
- Park and leave your car at Mullacott farm (www.mullacottfarm.co.uk or 01271 866877). They also have a camping and a YHA camping barn here.
- Lovistone Cottage B&B in Instow is nice (and close to the trail) tel: 01271 860676.
- The Fox & Hounds camping barn and B&B in Lydford is good, tel: 01822 820206
- There are some good man-made trails in Bedgebury Forest. Parking is expensive here though.
- Alternative smoother and sometimes less busy downhill from Beeding Hill to A283, on single track bridleway.
- Mountain High bike shop in Pangbourne is now no longer there, but Parkhurst Cycles is, over the road in the industrial park.
- Oxford route needs updating - best avoided for now...
- Avebury village makes a nice start point.
- The YHA above Goring is still a bunkhouse but not a YHA.
- There is a nice pub in Stoke Row
- Good campsite (White Mark farm) right on the Ridgeway at Watlington, GR 698/939 on tel: 01491 612295
- Great chocolate cafe in Wendover.
- There is a permissive bridleway from Hastoe to Wigginton.
- Popular horse riding area and suffers in the wet.
South Downs Way
- At point no.12 don't try to tunnel under the road, we meant to say 'go across the A24 road' not under it. It is a nasty crossing, so we advise using the alternative route signposted at GR105/119 via Washington village.
- There is a new bridge over the A26 road (point 17/18) GR432/056.
- After crossing the river Ouse and trainline, turn right by/before the YHA & (Itford) farm buildings, past the pods, using a footbridge over the A26. There is a nice cafe (and a water tap) at the YHA too.
- There is a now a water tap at Amberley (TQ 024/124) and at the YHA on Truleigh Hill (TQ 220/105).
- There are waymarked trails here now: 1km Green, 10km Blue and 13km Red route. However there is still some great natural riding hidden in the forest.
- Things have changed pretty significanly here now. We would now suggest basically following the outside edge of the common, where there is a thin line of trees (with some fun singletrack). It runs virtually all the way around the common. We'll have another route to download very shortly, or e-mail if you want the GPX for a trip if going soon.
North & South Downs - no.15 Harrietsham
- Please pass around Oakenpole Wood (on the road) as the track marked with a black line on the map, is now no longer a permissive path for cyclists.
- The last couple of fields are extremely muddy in bad weather
UK Breaks with Bikes
- Black Mountains route no91 is now best ridden in reverse since the Y Das trails has been 'improved' finally settling the age old debate over which direction this route is best ridden.