Uploading GPX files
What & why? A question we get asked quite regulalrly is how can I upload a GPX file to my GPS. It's usually a Garmin unit tbf as they are a bit of a fiddle because they want to convert the .gpx file into their own .tcx file which records other fitness training data such as heart rate, etc.
- Download the GPX file to your PC and save it (with a max. of 15 characters in the name)
- Turn your Garmin on & connect it to your PC - it should show in the devices & drives
- Click on the Garmin drive to open the folder and find the 'New Files' folder
- Drag the GPX file into the 'New Files' folder
- Disconnect your Garmin from your PC and then turn the Garmin off and then on again
- The route will now be in the ‘Courses’ folder on the Garmin and be ready to follow.
Top tip: For the best results we recommend you set the Garmin up
- Routing - Bicycle
- Guidance Method - Off Road
- Lock on Road - No
- Recalculate - Off
NOTE: To get the best results you need to set the system settings as so...
- Press 'Menu' then the 'Spanner icon' (bottom right) and then 'System'
- Press 'Map' and change the settings to the ones shown in the left image
- Next choose 'Routing' from the system menu and see the settings in the middle image
- Finally choose 'Avoidance Setup' from the Routing menu and see the settings in the right image